Jun 17, 2012

The Immortal Rules

So, I just finished this, and it was so good that I needed to share my thoughts on it with the world ASAP


The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1)
Julie Kagawa
The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity. 
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.
Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.
But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
Have you guys seen the bajillion of 5 star reviews for this book? Well, I did, thus the reason I actually decided to read it. I was really worried that it was over-hyped, but OH MY GOODNESS, did it deserve every rave review it got. This is no sappy Twilight-vampire-romance. The Immortal Rules is DARK. But, it's also romantic and sad and complex and flat out amazing. 

The plot was totally intense. It had these sections, which marked changes in the plot, and changes in Allison. In the beginning, she was ok with just surviving, but as the the book progressed, she realized how much more she could do, and she wanted that. I loved the way the book progressed, because it was such a complete story, and then I still wanted more. I loved the way it was written, and how you could just feel Allie's conflict within herself over what she is.


I also loved each character, and the way I really got to know each one, and how it took a while to find out the whole story for the people she met. It wasn't like an immediate information dump (like in Twilight), it was gradual. I really really liked Kanin, because he was so cool and sophisticated. He was completely no-nonsense and made Allie be what he needed her to be. He was such a cool teacher, and I really just liked his personality. He added an aspect to the story that I haven't seen very often in YA books. I also (obviously) liked Allison, because she was always the strong one, and she didn't have to be protected by a guy, she was the one who usually did the protecting. I had a major book crush on Zeke, just 'cause he was amazing. He was kind and caring and protective and (at least in my mind) totally hot. I pictured him like Logan Lerman (I like Logan Lerman). He was great. 



Did anyone else notice how similar The Immortal Rules cover was to The Iron Fey covers? Its just like dark, with a different half of a girl's face. Same style. Different tone. I thought that was really cool. Cover-Allison looks totally like "I can kick your butt and have fun doing it" while Cover-Meghan looks scared and shy (but still brave). The covers totally fit each character. I love that I can look at the cover of the book and know who the author is, even though they are different series. Did I mention that I really judge books on their covers?


This was definitely one of the best YA books I have read this year. It wasn't written like an obnoxious teenage girl of 2012, this sounded like it was the thoughts of a teenage girl who has been struggling for survival in a post-apocalyptic world. I mean, I already knew Julie Kagawa was a great author (I went through the last 3 books in the Iron Fey series in like a day and a half), but I just hadn't realized how amazing she truly was. I definitely give this book 5 out of 5, and I would recommend it to every single person who is even remotely literate. It was truly amazing.



<end transmission>

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...