Dec 3, 2012

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Myra McEntire
Pages: 390
Publisher: Egmont
Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Age Group: Young Adult
Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)Date Published: June 14, 2011
One hour to rewrite the past . . .
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.
So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?


I've been curious about this book for a while. Pretty cover and a time travel element that I don't think I've seen before in any YA book: I had to read it. And I have to say that this was definitely a very enjoyable, can't-put-it-down kinda book. It had a bit of an insta-love element to it, but it wasn't utterly horrendous, and it certainly made the plot move quicker and made everything much more interesting. Definitely regretting not grabbing Timepiece while I was at the library (they had it, too).

So, Emerson (best YA heroine name EVER) lost her parents four years ago, and has been a bit of a mess ever since. Not only does she have to deal with being an orphan (with a very loving brother and sister-in-law, though!), she also sees these apparition-things, and has to avoid making people think she's wacko (this had happened before).  Her older brother, who is currently serving as her step-in father-figure, has been trying to find someone to help Emerson with her problem. He's apparently tried everything from witch doctors to psychiatrists, but to no avail. He has yet to give up though, and this new contact is actually very close in age to Emerson. Michael seems to understand her and her problems, but freaky things happen when they touch each other. As the book progresses, we get to meet his make-shift family and find out exactly why he got in touch with Emerson's brother in the first place. (He's the insta-love boy, in case you haven't figured that out yet).

Though there were a couple plot holes (though, I didn't figure them out until just now, so either they weren't glaring holes or I'm just unobservant), and there was insta-love (a better romance than Bella and Edward, though), I really did enjoy the plot. I lost track of time while reading, and forgot to check if I had homework (which I do, but...) It was a really good book to read on a lazy Sunday afternoon, that's for sure. I even forgot to get lunch, I was so engrossed.

The characters were very cute. I adored Emerson. I really just love her name so much. Obviously named for Ralph Waldo Emerson, she's definitely got some style points. She's quirky and snarky, and can judo-flip a man twice her size, so I definitely respect her. She was a little impulsive and made a lot of really dumb decisions, obviously only for the sake of the plot. But, she was still very likeable.

Then there was Michael, sexy, sexy Michael. (Emerson's BFF Lily refers to him as 'Delicious,' no lie) He's smart and caring and selfless. Kind of the quintessential YA hero, and I just couldn't help but like him. He was sweet! He wasn't the bad boy type that everyone's got going right now, and I really enjoyed that. And he's chivalrous! I just liked him.

The minor characters all had great personalities, too. Lily, Em's aforementioned BFF, was so funny and cute. Then, Thomas and Dru, Emerson's brother and sister-in-law, were so great and hit the perfect mark between stand-in parents and siblings. I also really liked the way Michael's friends were characterized. His friend Kaleb was the bad boy of the story (every YA book has to have one, apparently), but he wasn't a really bad guy. We don't get to know him super well, but we get to know his character and how he's essentially a good guy and his story, and I just though McEntire wrote him really well.

And the cover is just sheer perfection for this book. I think I have dress-envy. I mean, that thing is gorgeous. :)

I really enjoyed this book, but because there were several plot holes and Emerson made a lot of really bad decisions, I'm giving it 4 'staches. I recommend it, but I'm not buying a copy to read again.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. The book looks interesting. I really like the cover. But now I am worried about the insta love thing. That can really put me off. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting to read at least one time! I don't mind insta-love if it's there to keep the pace high, so I can live with it :) Emerson (great name indeed) sounds like a perfect MC. It's a shame that there are some plot holes, but overall, the story sounds entertaining enough to give it a try. Great review!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...