Feb 10, 2014

{Review} These Broken Stars by Kaufman & Spooner

Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Pages: 374
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Format: Hardcover
Source: B&N
Age Group: Young Adult
Date Published: December 10, 2013

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.
Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?
Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
--
A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.



(I had to remove the authors' first names from the heading b/c it was too long) I loved These Broken Stars. When I picked it up, I half expected it to be mediocre because of the whole "star-crossed lovers" phrase in the blurb. Like, lame much? BUT NO NOT LAME AT ALL. I started the first chapter and I knew I had to have it. I've been trying to find it at the library for a long while now, and I was at the bookstore with $20 and instructions to only buy something that my sister could read, too. 

When I first started it, I was hooked. I loved Tarver's voice, and I loved Lilac so so much. I loved hearing from the both of them, and I don't usually like dual POVs. Tarver was a sarcastic jerk sometimes, but he wasn't really a sarcastic jerk. He wasn't mean or abusive or whatever. He was so sweet at the beginning, but she messed that up and embarrassed the poor shmuck. So, they get trapped on a deserted planet together and he has to take care of her. I was honestly super surprised at how much I liked Lilac. The way she desperately wanted to save face should have been off-putting, but it really wasn't. She was so strong from the very beginning. I don't think she complains once. She sees him able to trek and hike and not break a sweat, and she becomes determined to be just as good. I loved it. 

Their relationship dynamic was really unique. You know when you see that cute boy in the glasses at Barnes & Noble and he's reading something you think is cool and you automatically like him? That's how the book starts out. Tarver thinks she's beautiful, and then she stands up for someone in a bad situation and he thinks, "Now that's a girl I'd like to get to know better." There's no "love at first sight," but there is a spark of interest. Of course, she pisses him off and ends that like. So, when they're stuck together, he's pissed. He's such a jerk to her, but never enough that he'd leave her or let her get hurt. She's a jerk right back, of course. I think that maybe if one of them had caved and said something nice to the other they might have gotten along better. It wouldn't have been quite as fun to read, though. 

The plot is really character-based. It reminds me of The Deathly Hallows Part 1 in which Harry, Ron, and Hermione take a long hike through the woods but it's still captivating because the characters are so loveable. They hit a few bumps in the road (back in These Broken Stars, not Harry Potter), of course, but it basically just a deserted island story. It's the story of the two learning more about each other and gradually falling in love. Two people from different worlds (literally, hehe) who manage to fall in love. I love the characters and their strength and their cuteness and I love the book. Really. You should read it.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Heard nothing but amazing things about this book! Will definitely give it a try soon :3

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...