Nov 5, 2012

The Mark of Athena/ Extreme Percy Jackson Fangirling

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus #1)
Rick Riordan
Pages: 586
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Format: *signed* Hardcover
Source: Books a Million
Age Group: Young Adult/ Middle Grade
Date Published: October 2, 2012
The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3)

Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can’t blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.
And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close—the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?
Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.
Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare....


Oh my goodness, was this book adorable. I've been OBSESSED with Percy Jackson since I was 11 (so 5 years now, guys) and this just hasjdaksjdah I loved it. A lot. I made the mistake of lending it to my sister when I first got it, since I was reading Origin at the time, and the kid took freaking 3 weeks to finish it! How on Earth are we related?! It amazes me. Anyways, I loved getting to see more Percy and Annabeth, along with the new Heroes of Olympus characters. LOVE IT. (seriously fangirling)

So, the people mentioned in The Lost Hero are all at Camp Half-Blood, but Leo built this rockin' fly-y boat thing, and they all went to Camp Jupiter to get Percy. That didn't go over great with the Romans (they're kind of what we would call warmongers), and Percy, Annabeth, Leo, Jason, Piper, Hazel and Frank (plus Coach Hedge) had to flee on the Argo II. They go to Rome to try and solve the whole Prophecy of Seven (I did list seven people, since Hedge is in fact just a satyr with a baseball bat, and not technically a person). And Annabeth judo-flips Percy at one point in time and the cuteness killed me. I love these books, like so much. And that's not even my inner 12-year-old Megan talking. This 16-year-old Megan saying that it has adventure and Greek myths and the greatest couple EVER (seriously, even in The Lightning Thief I knew Percy & Annabeth were gonna get together. they fought too much not to). I just, I can't even.

So, yeah. Characters. I mean, if you're reading this review, you should have read all seven previous books (if you haven't I will hunt you down. and violently force you to read The Lightning Thief. It's much better than the movie, I promise. Like a thousand times better) and should know these awesome characters pretty dang well. However, Jason and Percy kind of react like oil and water with each other, and Frank and Leo end up having some issues, too. And Piper and Annabeth eat each other's food. And Percy is really flipping sassy (it's awesomely funny). And Dionysus ends up drinking Diet Pepsi at one point. Crazy, right? Oh, and Coach Hedge wants to kill things. With his baseball bat...

So, as you have probably figured out from my immense fangirling, this book was AMAZING. It deserves 5 mustaches, for sheer awesomeness.




Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...